Rainy Day Cupcakes




September 13, 2011


I love a good old rainy day, but let’s face it, there is only so much for the kids to do inside before they start driving any sane mom a little nuts. At the risk of a sugar high, I usually like to bake with my boys and they seem to love it - plus it keeps them occupied sans TV for a couple creative hours. Using box mixes are just fine if cooking is not really your thing or you want to keep it simple, but I like it a bit more complicated so there are more ingredients for the boys to mix.




This past weekend during a rainy spell, we decided to make “White Almond Sour Cream Cupcakes” (see the Recipes tab for the recipe) or just “cupcakes” to them. This recipe is good because it calls for a box mix but also a few additional ingredients for that extra “oomph.” I let Jerad pick the food coloring for the frosting, and we ended up with some delicious, neon blue cupcakes. I have a plastic picnic tablecloth that I throw over the kitchen table for any messy baking projects and another I keep on hand for art projects, etc. to save myself a headache. Just a little shake outside and a wipe down with Basic H afterward and clean-up is easy. Well except for the floor perhaps and the kids themselves – okay, I guess I’ll take what I can get in the clean-up department.